Connecticut's French Connection Leads Export List

Connecticut’s major trading partners among the world’s nations may be somewhat unexpected.  Topping the list is France, with 14% of exports.  Rounding out the top five are Canada (10%), Germany (8%), China (6%) and Mexico (6%).  The remainder of Connecticut’s top ten trading partners - in exports - are Belgium, Singapore, United Kingdom, Netherlands and Japan.  Together, those 10 nations account for 64% of Connecticut’s international exports; the rest of the world accounts for 36%, according to 2011 data from the U.S. Department of Commerce as published by Northeast Utilities. The Connecticut Small Business Development Center (SBDC) points out that 95% of the world’s population  and 66% of the world’s purchasing power are outside the United States, providing American businesses a world of opportunities to explore.  SBDC helps Connecticut businesses establish business relationships overseas from their offices at Connecticut's state universities and the Department of Economic and Community Development in Hartford.